The springs in garage doors extend or stretch to function. The other type is the torsion spring which, at the end, is wound around a rod that is located above the garage door opening. They are usually mounted on a steel pipe that extends the width of a garage door. Torsion springs are usually in pairs.
It is advisable to learn how to do garage door spring repair safely in order to save on the cost of hiring a repair man. Garage door springs are different with different types of garage doors.
The garage door spring replacement Kearns, in particular, torsion springs can be a tricky business. You have to be careful and put in place security measures. Following are some steps that can help repair your garage springs.
- The first step is to lock the garage door position down. You can use a lock or locking pliers to help secure the door.
- Then undo the garage door of the garage door with a safety rope. It is advisable to pull the plug completely. For safety reasons, make sure you have your safety glasses on and your scale is quite stable.
- Torsion springs can be very dangerous when under extreme stress and especially when the garage door is in the down position.
- The next step is to relax the springs. For the most part torsion springs come in pairs so they begin to carefully relax what is not broken. Be very careful when performing this process.
- To relax the springs held with light pressure on a spring bar winding and slowly loosen the two set screws in the winding cone.
- Remove the old torsion springs from the garage door. Then replace it with a new one.
It is a heavy job, not a light one. It is better to call garage door service Salt Lake City.